Saturday, July 15, 2006

Comment: From the HOLY CRAP File!

Occasionally, an auction comes along that just defies all probability, reason, and sanity. I love these. :)

RADIO SHACK TRS-80 COLOR COMPUTER 2 MIB w/MANUALS NICE!

At US$315.00 (that's three hundred and fifteen dollars, not a typo), that's a new record for a CoCo 2! Okay, say what you will about this sort of sale... go on say it. But... You gotta appreciate the CoCo-love it takes to fork over that much for 2er. Wow.

Now, for grins, let's play "What's Wrong With This Picture"

Note, I'm not saying the buyer got ripped, or anything... I'm just saying...

To me, IMHO, FWIW, Mint means mint. As in precisely the way it came from the factory. Oh, it might have passed through a couple hands since, but it's still in exactly the same condition (or near enough) as it was when it shipped out the dock. No exceptions. That's just me, though.

There's also a line of collecting, though, that classifies some items as "near mint" and/or "mint condition." These are items that are complete and in exceptional condition, as graded in most collectible circles by collectors who subscribe to this practice. Okay, I'll conceed that as viable grade and to each his and/or her own.

This CoCo, though nice, just doesn't qualify on either count. It would rate it Very Good and a possible Fine (though, I'd want to inspect it first on the latter count). CoCo, box and manuals all appear to be clean, no rips or tears, and well cared for. Problems:

1. The seller says it appears to have never been used, but then says it was fully tested and works perfectly. Um...

2. The CoCo 2 came wrapped in a plastic sleave, as did the manuals. Not present here.

3. No RF box is included (it was in the original package).

Don't get me wrong, this is a fine specimen. It's even in nicely collectible condition, a CoCo that any serious collector would be proud to add to their hoard. But we've seen better.. and recently. And it ain't mint by any stretch of the imagination. Again, I'm not saying nothing, I'm just saying... :)

Still, 315 smackers for a CoCo 2 is mighty impressive. I hope whoever bought gets plenty of enjoyment out of it!

Angel's Luck,
Capt.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like someone had entirely too much money burning a hole, or they were feeling REALLY nostalgic. One auction I was bidding on a few months back was for a 512k cc3, mpi, fd501, CM-8 and some software. IIRC it went for $180+. THAT would have been worth it... too me.

Captain Computer said...

Couldn't agree more. I over paid for my first CoCo when I got back involved with the machine. But not quite that much. heh!

I remember that auction. I thought it went a little low. The seller could have possibly sold the parts separately for more than it actually went for. hmmm...

Angel's Luck,
Capt

Anonymous said...

That's what the guy who bought the stuff is doing. I thinks it's rpgx1, or something like that, has been selling the items from that auction piece by piece.

Anonymous said...

Hi Capt,

I agree with both of you's, $315 for a coco2, was a bit too much moolah, I reckon a coco 3, with drives, monitor, and loads of hardware and software is worth the $315 price tag.
Makes me wonder how much I could get for my collection(But no chance of that happening, Love my coco 3's too much to part with em).

So Captcpu, what ever happened to the coco 3 system Mr Spyr was selling on ebay, Now that was a nice rig to have, Bet that fetched a pretty penny or 2.

laters

Briza

Captain Computer said...

It's not a bad idea, but I doubt anyone would make a mint off of doing so. Still, many buyers are going to balk at $100 for a whole set up to get one piece, but might pay $25 for the one piece they do need. So buying them and then breaking them up is probably a good thing.

I know I have a closet full of extra bits I need to put up eventually... heh...

Captain Computer said...

Briza,

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I believe it broke US$500.00. heh... Worth every penny, I suspect. That was a very sweet CoCo. Definately in the dream system catagory. :)