Sunday, July 30, 2006

7/30/06 Sales of Note

Sales of note for July 30th, 2006:

Multi-Pak Interface Color Computer 2 TRS-80 Tandy CoCo

Sweet looking and highly collectible MPI (26-3024) sold for US$40.25. This is the older style white one (the silver MPI was also labeled 26-3024). Came complete with manual, a nice looking box, and packing. Even had the pastic bag it was original wrapped in! Nice one.

Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80 Multi-Pak Interface for CoCo

Another seriously nice MPI, this one a 26-3124. This would be the newer style white case multipak. It would need a PAL upgrade to work properly with the CoCo 3 under OS-9. (Though, back in the day, I used a 26-3024 unmodified with my CoCo 3 and OS-9 for years with no problems. heh! Ignorance is bliss, right?)

BUNCH OF RADIO SHACK TRS-80 MANUALS & SOROC IQ 120

Here's a good deal that I completely missed. This one had the 26-3024 MPI Service Manual and the Service Manual for the Color Computer 26-3002A/3A/4A. Both are particularly rare. Also, can add to the ol' noggin' base that the 3002A, 3A and 4A are similar enough to warrant a single Service Manual. Kind of sorry I missed that one.


TRS-80 - Mark Data - Trekboer

I baby! I was so sad I couldn't bid on this one! heh! Still, what a find. Classic Mark Data adventure goodness with the cool retro-manual and everything! Sold for about US$44.00 and, IMHO, a bargain at that price. Hope I'm wrong, but don't expect to be seeing this one again anytime soon.

TRS-80 Coco 'VIP Writer' Software

Fairly nice copy of VIP Writer from Softlaw. Went for US$11.00, so the Price Guide price nudged up a bit.

TRS-80 Coco 'VIP Database' Software

First time this one has come up for inclusion in the Price Guide. At US$9.50, it appears the retro-application market for the CoCo is a bit limited, even if it's exceedinly rare. heh! :)

Price Guide:

I did not do much adjusting to the CoCo 2 listings. Generally, the sales are in line with what's already there, sans the monster sale earlier. In fact, I would suspect a general lowering of prices coming shortly, after the flood of units hitting the listings right now.

I did a general lowering of the MC-10 after the hoard went through and some sold, some didn't, but all at lower than the Price Guide price.

There has been a general adjustment to the TRS-80 Deluxe RS/232 Pak listing. If I'm reading the data correctly, this should be slightly more accurate, but be aware that it'll need a few more sales to tell for sure, so the price could go either way quickly. It's kind of been all over the place this year.

Mint price for the Color Baseball pak went up a touch, as did the price for Downland. Adjusted the Good price for Doubleback down slightly, but it's still super rare and pretty fun to boot. (I've had two people write me this year asking where they could get it or if I had one to offer. For the record, I don't. I don't even own one. I've only ever player it on an emulator.)

Typing Tutor continues to sell like hot cakes. heh... At least some Dungeon's of Daggorath paks started showing up. :)

Angel's Luck,
Capt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I got this item today. While I doubt it's collectability, I seem to have a weakness for word processors and VIP Writer was one I had never used (I used to make $$$ making resumes for people on TW-64). The floppy disk is good (need to get some media to back that sucker up). The only issue from a collectors standpoint is the documentation is in a VIP Terminal binder and not VIP Writer, and the 'nal' is missing from Terminal.

Captain Computer said...

Yeah, I always wanted the latest and hottest WP (or database, or what-have-ya) application, too. Particularly once I got into college. heh! I used TW64 through my Junior year.

As far as collectibility goes, I'm hoping that issue will be explored in the future and more people will chime in with their scores and their thoughts on acquisitions. While the value of an item in a collection is ultimately up to the individual collector, any collector's market will eventually develop a consensus, on a variety of criteria, on particalar items.

I'd say what you got is quite collectible. An original disk alone, to me, would be collectible as a piece of CoCo history. It's ancient media (kind of like stone tablets) and it was produced and used during the time the CoCo was actually in production. Many CoCo vendors produced all the copies, manuals, packaging, etc. That means the folks who programmed it, touched it, packed it, and sent it on it's merry way. (Couldn't say that was the case here, of course, since many vendors probably used packaging and duplication services, but still...)

I'd say it's the difference between owning the original and having a DSK image. One has a certain historical significance and is particularly rare. The other is just bits and bytes.

That the the disk is operational, the manual, and the terminal binder are included just adds to the collectibility, IMHO. Seems to me it was a good deal, for some rather rare antique CoCo items and an excellent addition to your collection!

Did you, by chance, get it running on a CoCo 3? Mine won't, just on the CoCo 1 and 2 and I wanted to see it running on a clearer screen that the old beat up TV I have. heh...

Angel's Luck,
Capt

Brian said...

Right on all counts, Cris.

No, VIP Writer locks up on my Coco3's.

Interestingly, I purchased a cc3 and Blue Streak serial to Centronics converter from Carey on the maltedmedia list and VIP works fine with that converter. However, I also have a Botek converter and VIP will NOT work with that one, on either of my printers (Oki 320 and Citizen 200GX). Scriptsit and TW-64 work great. Little odd...

Captain Computer said...

Hmmm... VIP must be polling the port on startup and not finding something (or finding the wrong thing) on a CoCo 3. But I'm not aware of any difference as far serial I/O goes between the machines. Isn't access all in the same locations?

I bet if we look enough there's a patch somewhere. heh!

Angel's Luck,
Capt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

I had the same trouble with VIP, But my problem is, that it won't go past the startup screen on a coco 3, never even got a chance to see what the printer output was like, using a home made serial/pararelle interface.

laters

Briza