Wednesday, September 27, 2006

9/27/06 - Update and dis-belief....

As I write this, this auction:

Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 2 with Disk Drives and more

Is going for the, IMO, insane price os $214.62. The only unique part of this auction is a custom dual disk drive system, which looks like two older style model I, III and IV type ss/dd full height drives (like a copy of the AppleII's). Jeez, if this CoCo2 auction goes for this price, I have to wonder what my repack would sell for (yeah... like that's gonna happen). Auctions like this blow me away as there is really nothing special about it. The special ones went last week with CM-8's, software, etc...

Now this is more like it and should go for a reasonable price...

Tandy color computer 3 with 5 1/4 in. drive

A CoCo3 , FD-502, deluxe joystick and manuals (see rant below on this). Though he obviously has NO sense of weight, a CoCo3 weighting 10lbs??? While not in collectible condition, heeeeeeeeere's repack material!!! Working with my CoCo III repack, I'm getting all kinds of repack ideas. Would anyone object to a CoCo3 in an X-Box case??? Or maybe an aluminum briefcase with an LCD mounted on the outside and all internals, well, internal, using a rollup AT keyboard that could be stored inside, hmmmm... must..focus....

TANDY TRS 80 RD 500 DISK DRIVE W/CABLE AND INTERFACE

No idea if this is in a box, but it looks to be in at least fair condition and possibly even usable. Good buy if the price is right.

RADIO SHACK TANDY TRS 80 COLOR COMPUTER

Here's a nice looking white CoCo from the same seller as above. What don't about these auctions is he is also selling the CoCo Basic manual in a separate auction. Cheesey, man, just cheesey.

Captains Challenge:

Hey CaptCPU (or anyone else), here's a project for you. Do a repack with this:

Radio Shack TRS 80 TRS-80 Vintage Computer NO RESERVE!!

Basically a Model III dumb terminal (no floppies). If you can pick it up for $15-20, the $15.00 shipping is a steal. I just paid $30 each for a MIII and two M4's (of course all I paid was shipping... :D ) You could probably sell it's guts on eBay and make your money back...

Cris mentioned the HD63C09EP processors. Still researching trying to find them for a reasonable price. Getting itchy to try that swap myself...

Till next... (B)

1 comment:

Captain Computer said...

I'd like to think that CoCo 2 selling for that much is because of the big load of disks. But that's hard to believe because the seller doesn't actually list the disk contents. Er... heh... well, like I said before, serious CoCo love.

The seller updated this auction and the new link is http://cgi.ebay.com/Tandy-TRS-80-Color-Computer-2-with-Disk-Drives-and-more_W0QQitemZ260033961677QQihZ016QQcategoryZ74947QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for a model 3 repak... :) Would be fun and tempting. And that is a heck of a good deal. Kinda got my eye and bid on that early 3001 up for grabs. Thinking it might be a C-Board... maybe. (Regardless, a 3001 with its box and good looking manuals is super rare anyway). I'll keep an eye on the III, though. Someday I do want to land a Model I or III to play with as well. Cut my teeth on the Model I. Figure I better get the CoCo mod I'm working on done first, though. Then I plan to start working out how to build a "shop" CoCo. Completely sealed CoCo 3 in a CoCo 1 case, 'cept for filtered fans, solid state storage, and a flat screen (with the video hardware internalized, probably a Haeksoft S-Video adapter), all running off that bench supply idea you sent along. Should be a challenging project for next Spring. :)

It's interesting that you mention breaking down that Model III and selling the parts. Until recently, CoCo parts haven't sold well at all. Bits here and there, but not for much. If more people start moding and repaking their 3s, I wonder if demand will pick up. Hmmm....

Angel's Luck,
Capt